The Reckoning NZ is brought to you by survivors and advocates in New Zealand
Below you’ll find some of our team. There are others in the team that prefer to retain their anonymity.
Advocate – Historian
From Roxburgh, Otago New Zealand
My advocacy is driven by a fundamental desire: justice and redress for the victims and survivors whose childhoods were so cruelly stolen from them by institutions entrusted with their care and protection. I dodged a bullet. They did not. It is my duty to act and not remain silent for by doing so and knowing what happened, I am complicit in this.
I take as my lode stone the words of the 18th Century Irish philosopher Edmund Burke and repeated in a 1961 speech of John F Kennedy;“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
- St Paul’s (now Kavanagh College) Dunedin.
- Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA) Fiji 1970.
- BA Hons 1, PhD, Otago University, New Zealand
- Consultant to former PM of Tonga, Hon Tu’i vakano
- Advisor to Petro Georgiou, Member for Kooyong, Australia Federal Parliament.
- Advisor to Vice President of the Philippines, Teofisto Guingona
- Knight of Rizal , Philippines
- Spokesperson for The Network of Survivors of Abuse in Faith-based Institutions and Their Supporters
Survivor – Producer and general technical dogs body
From Lower Hutt – New Zealand
Unfortunately I was one of the “chosen ones”. Like so many men in New Zealand it took me decades to begin to confront the sexual and psychological abuse I was exposed to as a child. Although the sexual abuse has passed, the psychological abuse continues as the Catholic Church fails to apply the teachings it instilled in me as child, to itself. Like the parable of two builders, I really thought that I had built my house on rock… only to find it now smashed and shattered beneath me.
My goal is simple, make positive change so children (like my own) don’t have to experience the trauma that I have.
- St Bernards College Lower Hutt
- BPhEd Otago (Hons I)
- Business owner
- Intentional Peer Support Level 1
- Dad of four
Direct to Your Inbox
Just add your email and hit subscribe to stay informed.